Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    vCash
    I don't get that. A match can have a fast pace while still telling a story. WWE matches are a lot of things generally speaking, but "spotfest" doesn't really come to mind. If anything they are the opposite, which is why you get rubes saying things like "I prefer TNA/ROH/whatever because they get to do kewl movez". I honestly can't get my head around the idea that WWE matches, of all things, are spotfests with no storytelling. That is literally blowing my mind a little.

WWE matches tend to stick fairly solidly to formula, and I can get disliking the sameness of formula or something like that, but not that they aren't telling stories or work fast-paced spotfests.

You can pluck any Shield match from thin air and be able to discern the story within it. That is the entire beauty of the Shield. You can take pretty much any big Cena match and be able to see the story. Think about a list of the best matches from this year, I'd say all of them have an identifiable story, and I can go into specifics if need be, since I'm not sure where to even begin. I've written small novels outlining the incredibly detailed stories in numerous current-day matches, from the Streak matches to Cena main events to random Smackdown matches to Show/Sheamus to Divas matches. Even 5 minute Divas matches have stories. Well, the good ones do.

I'm not saying this about every match, of course, but I entirely disagree with the notion that "there's no storytelling anymore". The "anymore" part worries me too, because I'm struggling even more with the idea that there's somehow less storytelling than, say, five years ago or something. But it depends how far back you mean. It's there if you want to find it. I do, and I do.

Legend in the making Ciaran The King's Avatar
    vCash
    I will agree that the Shield do it perfectly and they are fine example of young stars who know what to do when they step through the ropes.

When it comes to telling a story inside the ring I just feel that sometimes the emotion isn't there. A great example is the HBK/Taker feud and matches from WM 25/26, with those matches you could invest and you could see the story being told in the ring. I just feel that some guys go out and run through the same formula week after week.
    "Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f**k you were gonna do anyway"

vCash
    Well, that's the nature of the product though. In the era of 7-8 hours of TV per week and a million rematches all the time, not every match is going to be special. But that doesn't mean none of them are.

Legend in the making Ciaran The King's Avatar
    vCash
    I agree and what I don't like is that sometimes PPV calibre matches take place on Raw and SD, I feel that also diminishes the importance of the match
    "Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f**k you were gonna do anyway"

vCash
    Yeah, I only want to see average matches on my weekly TV show!
    Mathematical

Thread Information