Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

What are Kane's best matches?

An idea I'd like to explore from the Orton thread, because I'm struggling to come up with them.

To me Kane's primary appeal is his character, and even in the ring his best work would be highlights like Rumbles, or else multi-man matches like Chambers or MITBs or big tag matches, stuff like that. Trying to come up with significantly great singles matches is really hard.

I'm quite a fan of the initial Undertaker matches, from WM14 and the Inferno match. I dug the Shane McMahon Ambulance match, its probably the last time I enjoyed Shane. A lot of people mention the Benoit title match but I dont really remember it. There's the one Punk ECW match that delivered. He was in the four-way that kicked off the New SD Six run in 09. There's the four-way at TLC '10 and the LMS with Edge on TV. The Orton matches so far (no spoilers - SD Street Fight and WM28) have been good. I dunno.

These matches all seem around the same kind of level to me, if that makes sense - there's nothing that really stands out as his definitive in-ring work.

I think looking at the last decade or so, even when he's been put in prominent positions there's been no ring work to back it up - its all character work and pushes. The Rey matches were disappointing. The Cena matches this year were OK, but not really special - he doesnt have the big Cena main events that a lot of guys have. He did nothing as ECW Champ, and his World Title reign bombed aside from gimmick matches with Edge.

I'm just thinking out loud, but this is all a long winded way of asking, what are Kane's best matches? Especially interested to hear from the Orton thread guy since he's such a big fan.

Wrestling Genius
    vCash
    The last time I enjoyed Kane was his feud with Taker when he was WHC.

To me, Kane has never been a 'greatest of' guy work wise. He's a damn fine go to guy though. The BEST Kane was after his debut when he was destroying everything in site. That was a LONG time ago.
    Entertainment Forum Leader: Entertainment Forum

Harm No Thing Unless Attacked Then Don't Look Back Tearing It Limb From Limb
    Gently Bend Them Bones Again
    Respond
    Take Out The Broken Parts
    The Speaker Is Now Broken You Respond

THE GAME

vCash
    Yeah, thats sort of my point, Kane's value is for pretty much everything else apart from having great matches. Its his character, promos, wacky angles, even spots within matches and his role within clusterf*ck matches, but not so much the matches themselves. Hence, we must smoke them out.

Wrestling Genius
    vCash
    Kane's match with Big Show and Raven at 17 was pretty great.

I'm having a tremendously hard time trying to think of great Kane matches.
    Entertainment Forum Leader: Entertainment Forum

Harm No Thing Unless Attacked Then Don't Look Back Tearing It Limb From Limb
    Gently Bend Them Bones Again
    Respond
    Take Out The Broken Parts
    The Speaker Is Now Broken You Respond

THE GAME

vCash
    Funnily enough, I thought the Kane / Orton No DQ match recently, was pretty good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Redman View Post
    Yeah, thats sort of my point, Kane's value is for pretty much everything else apart from having great matches. Its his character, promos, wacky angles, even spots within matches and his role within clusterf*ck matches, but not so much the matches themselves. Hence, we must smoke them out.

That's how I see it, I would say Kane is most remembered for moments, not matches. I can remember certain parts of matches that were awesome (hurricanrana on Albert, anyone?) and his initial debut and most of his first run is memorable, but great matches were never part of his character. he never needed to go 30 minutes and plow through a Malenko-esque repetiore of moves. I would say the occasion is bigger than the match when it comes to Kane. Inferno Match, his debut, his two WM matches with the Undertaker, his title match against Stone Cold, joining DX, being betrayed by DX, getting a girlfiend, being betrayed by girlfriend, unmasking etc, etc, etc.

In short, he doesn't need to have great matches.
    There is no shame in failing, only in not having tried.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness

vCash
    I thought lost all his luster when the mask came off, i remember specifically not wanting to watch that match bhecause i thought it would kill the kane character. I liked the dx years both with and against, his stuff with x-pac, and torrie were memorable for me.

I thought he and rvd made a fantastic tag team when they had their run, they had good chemistry and good matches.

when i am bored and sometimes just flip on youtube videos in the wee hours of the night, all of kanes big moments center around surprise attacks, returns, clearing the ring of 4 or 5 guys with huge chokeslams.

One of my favorite periods for kane was when he first became a face, he was immensely over going against dx and the corporation.
    "I ain't got time to bleed" Jesse "The Body" Ventura

vCash
    I'd say the best would probably have to be the Inferno match, but even then it would just be because of what that match was, not necessarily how great it was. Other than that his steel cage match with X-Pac was great, and maybe the first blood against Austin.
    Keep in mind that what I've said is merely my opinion, but keep in mind that I'm always right.
    You'll be happy to know that 61 percent of the WWE Universe voters think the WWE Draft is better than the NFL, NBA, another major sports drafts. In related news, 61 percent of the WWE Universe voters are morons.

vCash
    His feud with Chris Jericho was quite good.

vCash
    I'm not sure, to be honest. I like Kane as a character but his matches have always been lacking. I just don't think he's very good and no matter who the opposition is, he never seems to be able to have what I'd consider to be a 'good' match. He's extremely sluggish in the ring and his matches are boring and predictable. I don't hate the guy or anything, and I think he's got a great character, but I don't think he's capable of anything decent in the ring. Even though he's not the biggest guy, he wrestles more like Khali than The Undertaker or Big Show. He's not athletic in the slightest and it shows.

I think he's overexposed though. He's got a main event character but D-level ring ability and it shows. When he's killing jobbers or sympathetic faces, he's a lot of fun, but his character demands so much more than that. The problem is, you can't have him squashing people in the main event and any time he has to go over 10 minutes, you know it's going to be tedious. You see The Undertaker in these very high profile WrestleMania matches and that's the level Kane should be at but, unfortunately, he's nowhere near good enough.

To answer the question, I'd probably go with the match against Shane. That was fun but then again, Shane is capable of an entertaining match with anyone.
    Fight Forum Leader: Fight Forum

"A boxing match is like a cowboy movie. There's got to be good guys and there's got to be bad guys. And that's what people pay for - to see the bad guys get beat. In the films the good guy always wins, but this is one bad guy who ain't gonna lose"

Thread Information