Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hampshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,037
    vCash
    24952
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Showstoppa View Post
    Seems like an appropriate place to ask this - but having missed the WCW Nitro golden period (because it wasn't really on UK TV) How good was the whole "Sting sitting up in the roof just watching" angle? Because that was nearly a year in the making too wasn't it?
    in terms of promotion for a match it paid off, because Starrcade 1997 drew a 1.7 buy rate, which was huge at the time, and WCW's biggest ever. However as has been stated, WCW screwed it up royally by giving this record audience a poor show, and a rubbish Sting v Hogan match that fell flat and had a screwy, non decisive finish
    You fight like a dairy farmer...

    "Kinky, but I like sex the way I like basketball: one on one, and with as little dribbling as possible." RIP Leslie Nielsen

  2. #22
    Legend in the making Ciaran The King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,452
    vCash
    1050
    With PPV's like that it makes you wonder why WCW received so much praise during that time
    "Every time youíre a 9, Iím a 10. If youíre a King, Iím an Ace. Iím always just a little bit better than you."

  3. #23
    Jimmy Redman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    21,574
    vCash
    3450
    They didnt receive praise for Starrcade. And this was during their hot period where they were kicking the Jesus out of WWF. One bad show doesnt mean the entire time period sucked.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,677
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran The King View Post
    With PPV's like that it makes you wonder why WCW received so much praise during that time
    They made some humdingers of bad decisions didn't they! Mind you I suppose the nWo and the cruisers had won so many brownie points with the crowd, that you see through the drek. WWE isn't exaclty flawless in that regard either.
    I'm a Daddy - Amy-Rose born on 23rd December 2010

  5. #25
    Legend in the making Ciaran The King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,452
    vCash
    1050
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Showstoppa View Post
    WWE isn't exaclty flawless in that regard either.
    Of course not, WWE produced their own amount of stupidity during the boom period. But when WCW was on fire no one could touch them
    "Every time youíre a 9, Iím a 10. If youíre a King, Iím an Ace. Iím always just a little bit better than you."

  6. #26
    The Beltster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    21,556
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    You'd have to remind me the last time any wrestling promotion began a feud by announcing the one match for it a year ahead. I think your twisting the idea that the premise of the thread is about long angles which it isn't.
    Actually, in your own words:

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    As the title suggests what are people's thoughts on how well the experiment in building one match for an entire year has gone. Do you think that Cena V Rock match would have been just as good, better or worse had it got a more typical build time? Did the fact that a feud where one person was absent most of the time still took up so much TV time put you off the match before it happened? What could the WWE have done better with the build to the match, working around Rock's schedule of course?
    Where, exactly, did you say it was anything about advertising a match 1 year in advance? Where? You didnt. You specifically asked about BUILDING one match for an entire year and that comes under the long term angle/booking premise, right? Sure, and thats exactly what I answered, so please, before you say I'm "twisting" shit go back and read your own words beforehand.

  7. #27
    Omega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    just over there
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15,485
    vCash
    1433
    You said it wasn't an experiment as if every wrestling promotion has a feud with a pre-defined blow off match exactly one year later. That really doesn't happen. You made the point of saying:

    This wasnt an experiment, it was getting back to basics.
    And it's patently clear this isn't a basic feud/angle/build or whatever term you want to try and make a point about using. It isn't a feud that happened to last a year, that evolved over that period or was extended because it was good. This wasn't in any way, shape or form a standard lengthy build hence why I said you'd twisted the premise of the thread by insinuating this was a simple "back to basics" long build, which it isn't.

    Of course it's a step up from you saying everything in wrestling is sh*t so I guess I should be grateful. (that was meant as a joke by the way.).
    Last edited by Omega; 07-04-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Mathematical

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •