Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Legend in the making Ciaran The King's Avatar
    vCash
    I could never imagine Sting in a WWE ring, I don't think the two go together
    "Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f**k you were gonna do anyway"

vCash
    Well that's the reality of the situation but it makes you wonder if Sting had crossed over when he had the draw to make McMahon push him instead of jobbing him I wonder who's spot he might have taken? Could he have taken Austin's spot and been Vince's foil? Could he have been the leader of The Ministry instead of Taker? Could he have been The Rock and been the peoples champ? What if he'd simply taken HHH spot as "that guy"?
    Mathematical

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Well that's the reality of the situation but it makes you wonder if Sting had crossed over when he had the draw to make McMahon push him instead of jobbing him I wonder who's spot he might have taken? Could he have taken Austin's spot and been Vince's foil? Could he have been the leader of The Ministry instead of Taker? Could he have been The Rock and been the peoples champ? What if he'd simply taken HHH spot as "that guy"?
    Dunno really, more than likely would have taken Big Show's spot as a "huge defection" I think a feud with Undertaker would have been a given, and if he'd joined then maybe it would have been Sting V Undertaker - instead of Kane, and Glenn Jacobs would have been wished well in his future endeavours.
    I'm a Daddy - Amy-Rose born on 23rd December 2010

vCash
    It depends on when exactly he moved, if its after Kane debuted then Kane would have been fine, they could just do Sting/Taker later on. (Plus, semi-realistically, he'd only have moved to WWE at the start of 1998 after Starrcade at the earliest).

I know Omega was only using the big stars as examples, but to me I think its extremely difficult to say "Had such and such happened, A would be in B's exact spot now" kind of things. There's just way too many variables to what makes a megastar. I dont think you can really say "If he'd feuded with Vince he could have been Steve Austin" with any kind of certainty.

But it is interesting to think about had he theoretically come over during the early Attitude Era, how the landscape would have changed. Or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Redman View Post
    It depends on when exactly he moved, if its after Kane debuted then Kane would have been fine, they could just do Sting/Taker later on. (Plus, semi-realistically, he'd only have moved to WWE at the start of 1998 after Starrcade at the earliest).

I know Omega was only using the big stars as examples, but to me I think its extremely difficult to say "Had such and such happened, A would be in B's exact spot now" kind of things. There's just way too many variables to what makes a megastar. I dont think you can really say "If he'd feuded with Vince he could have been Steve Austin" with any kind of certainty.

But it is interesting to think about had he theoretically come over during the early Attitude Era, how the landscape would have changed. Or not.
    It was less of whether he'd be a megastar and more of a "with that extra person at the top end of the roster what spots might they have taken from someone else" rather than saying he'd have become the Austin character as an example.

Would Stone Cold have been that over without being Vince's nemesis during the corporation era? I he'd have taken Kane's spot would he have lasted as long as Kane has or would Sting have run the course of that gimmick/angle out and gone on to something different? Would The Rock have stayed as part of The Nation if Sting had become "The peoples champ" so to speak as the big WCW defector. Would Sting have slotted into the general top level guy space that has been filled by HHH at the time and leave Trips as part of DX to play out the gimmick until it lost all momentum and he ended up in a mid-level spot in the kind of Test role.
    Mathematical

Legend in the making Ciaran The King's Avatar
    vCash
    I think what happened to Bret in WCW would be the example if Sting signed for WWE.

Sting is a WCW creation, he belongs in WCW, the same way Bret 'Hit Man' Hart was a WWE creation. Also look at what WWE tried to do with Goldberg.
    "Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f**k you were gonna do anyway"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    It was less of whether he'd be a megastar and more of a "with that extra person at the top end of the roster what spots might they have taken from someone else" rather than saying he'd have become the Austin character as an example.

Would Stone Cold have been that over without being Vince's nemesis during the corporation era? I he'd have taken Kane's spot would he have lasted as long as Kane has or would Sting have run the course of that gimmick/angle out and gone on to something different? Would The Rock have stayed as part of The Nation if Sting had become "The peoples champ" so to speak as the big WCW defector. Would Sting have slotted into the general top level guy space that has been filled by HHH at the time and leave Trips as part of DX to play out the gimmick until it lost all momentum and he ended up in a mid-level spot in the kind of Test role.
    I understand what you're getting at, but my point is its just too hard to say.

Even when you're comparing the spots they were in, like, he'd never be in Austin's spot as Vince's foil because the Sting character isnt a foil for Vince in the same way Austin's was. Vince was the boss and Austin was the everyman. Sting isnt that, he's a dark superhero. So I'm saying he wouldnt come in and feud with Vince for three years just because Austin did it, so I dont think you have to speculate whether he'd do it as well or whether Austin would have made it without a Vince feud. Austin would probably have feuded with Vince anyway, its more just having another top babyface there and who's the one who gets the biggest push and the title, and for how long.

I think Kane is the best comparison since if you say in theory Sting comes in after Starrcade, he could work Taker at WM14 even though the Kane feud was already underway. That to me is more about what happens to Kane than Sting, since the Taker feud petering out so soon, after his previous failures, might well be a death knell. Sting works a Taker feud and goes from there, although an interesting question would be, would he have beaten Taker at WM?

The Rock, once again it way depends on what timeframe you're using. If he comes in at the start of 1998, he's still midcard heel Rocky and miles away from turning. Who knows what happens in the 9 months or so before that point. Rock was so great that you couldnt keep him a heel anyway, he was being turned by the crowd, so I think it was inevitable. The question would be whether he gets the title, or gets it so soon, if he's theoretically still behind Austin and Sting in the pecking order.

Actually, as an offshoot from that, what about no Mankind title wins?

Hunter had Steph, he was never going to end up as just another midcarder, ever.

Thread Information