Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle vs Christian Cage - TNA No Surrender 2008

I don't watch TNA at all, ever, I honestly cannot stand it, so having to sit through all that was painful! Like others said, if there wasn't so much stuff before the match started it might not have been so bad! I think TNA need to learn from WWE how to do video packages and when to use them, having a video build up each guy that was in the match right before the match was awful. Like i said, i don't watch TNA, so i'm just wondering does the ring announcer talk that much at the start of every match? "Who weighed in this morning at..." lol why would you even need to say that for?! Samoa Joe's promo was dull, the stuff with Sting wasn't really needed and one of the commentators (no idea what he was called) had a really annoying voice! Okay, so now that that's out of the way I can talk about the match lol!
    It was okay, but definitely not something I would want to watch again. Having not seen a Kurt Angle match since about 2005, I was looking forward to seeing his stuff to see if he is as good now as he was in WWE. Sure he still wrestled well, but he didn't seem as into it as he used to, I mean when he used the ankle lock at the end it just looked rubbish! Christian was good in this match, i liked the frog splash bit and he took some pretty sick bumps, particularly the suplex over the top rope and onto the floor.
    Was Samoa Joe supposed to be a face? If so, then that was a pretty weird ending, the crowd were booing him a lot through it, but I couldn't really tell if he was a proper heel or not? I lol'd at the fact that the crowd were saying "This is awesome" after that move by Samoa Joe...if that was awesome then TNA must be pretty bad normally? The crowd were pretty quiet for this and I always think that it makes matches a lot harder to get into if the live crowd are dead. Like Jimmy said, no reaction for the angle slam which was weird!
    So yeah on the whole it was an okay match, but there were far too many negative things about it for me to like it. Sorry that my thoughts on it haven't really been written in order of the match, but oh well! I give it 4.5/10 (Yes thats incredibly low, but yeah TNA really isn't my thing at all, sorry!)
    I'm Not Sure What To Write Here...

vCash
    TAZ vs TAJIRI

I didnít really start getting hold of ECW stuff till Ď99/2000 so Iím not too familiar with storylines though I did keep up to date with goings on through PS.

Nice start to the match, straight into the action. Nice moonsault which sadly should have been a wow moment but I guess ECW fans were abit spoiled 
    Iíve always liked Tazís suplexes 
    The dropkick on about 6 mins was awesome. Table spot was well done I think.
    The in ring action wasnít long enough if Iím honest and I thought the finish was abit confusing and didnít do the rest of the match justice. I donít see why Taz Ďsnappedí really.

Match rating 6.5/10
    Would have been 7 were it not for the finish.

vCash
    OK guys, the first week has ended and not a lot of you have reviewed everything. Come on, this only works if everyone puts in the work, and its unfair to those who do.

This week's matches are due today - Springsteen, Chris2k, John Hancock. Rocky you cant post your video until you're up to date.

vCash
    Ok my choice. A nice little match between Chris Jericho and Jeff Hardy from March 2008.

vCash
    123 Kid vs Hakushi
    Wasnt a bad match was quite fun, but nowhere near as enjoyable as other cruiserweight matches ive seen, the tilt a while botch really throught the match for me though as it was the 1st major impact move. But i enjoyed the finish so ill give this a 7/10

Taz vs Tajiri
    Good old classic ECW now were talking really enjoyed this showed what these two could really do early in their careers, loved Tajiris kicks and the tazplexs, plus the table spot was fun. Extra bits with the wheelchair any everything were good as well. Only disappoinyment for me was the wierd wide angle finish which spoiled the end of a good match 8/10

Kurt Angle vs Christian Cage vs Samoa Joe
    This is the first TNA ppv match ive seen ive occasionaly dipped into impact but never bothered with the ppvs, so this could be interesting. Didnt understand the point of all the stuff with sting at the begining, why is that happening? I cant remember who else made this point but why does Borash have to say so much during the introduction, wouldnt just a reading of names and match be fine? Christian getting belly to bellyed over the top rope was fun as was the top rope stack spot and the double ankle lock. Sigh as this was TNA i knew there was going to be atleast one ref bump, oh and a run in finish, its like their trying to prove the sterotypes right. Those two events at the end brought down what was a really good match for me so im gonna give it a 6/10.

Sorry if the last review there is a bit rambling i was writing it as i watched the match

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jierda View Post
    I cant remember who else made this point but why does Borash have to say so much during the introduction, wouldnt just a reading of names and match be fine?
    I forgot this the first time, but I dont mind Borash's main event announcing. He's essentially doing a big time, boxing/MMA main event announcement, if the question is why he does it like that. He's Bruce Buffer, only not as good. I dont mind the style, but as with the entire intro of this match, its easier to watch live than having to sit through it all now on YouTube.

One thing I did want to mention though, on that note, is that I do really like TNA's big match entrances that they film from backstage, Goldberg-style. The last time I remember seeing it was for AJ/Joe/Daniels in 2009, and it really adds to the feel of a big match, which is good for TNA since its harder for them to create a big match atmosphere.

vCash
    Chris Jericho vs Jeff Hardy - Raw March 2008

A Jeff Hardy match I've never seen?! Wow! Jeff Hardy is my favourite wrestler ever so I'm not gonna complain about having to watch this! I very much enjoyed this one, not just because Jeff's in it, but the actual match itself was really good. I can't really remember seeing Jeff and Y2J working together before and from this it appears that they can work together well! Jeff missing the "running the rail" spot was nice, don't often see him miss and hit the announce table! Really liked the ending, with the kick out from the lionsault and Jeff turning the Walls of Jericho into a pin attempt! Then you think Jeff's got the win with the swanton only for Y2J to roll out of the way and hit the codebreaker! I won't even complain that Jeff lost If only these guys were still on WWE TV, it would be sooo much better!
    Very good match, only downside for me is that it was quite short! So I will give it 7.5/10!
    I'm Not Sure What To Write Here...

vCash
    123 Kid vs Hakushi
    I was such a mark for Waltman when he was The Kid, and I absolutely loved Hakushi too. I dont remember this match from back then but I was only a casual watcher until 94-95. This match was a blast. I loved all the cruiser style spots and the tilt a whirl botch didn't really affect my enjoyment of the match at all. The Bronco Buster bit Hakushi did was great, too bad X-Pacs Bronco Busters always sucked. Anyways a fun cruiser match, and a good PPV opening type outing here 7/10

Kurt Angle vs Christian Cage vs Samoa Joe
    Ok so Im just realizing, surprisingly, that as big of a fan of Angle as I've always been, and with as much TNA as Ive seen, this is my first Angle TNA PPv match. Liked the entrances, was confused by The Sting stuff, and enjoyed the match. Samoa Joe had such potential coming in from ROH, and Cage and Angle always look good. There were some really nice spots in this match. I didnt feel too much of the usual TNA overbooking. Really nice main event PPV match. Might have to check out a few more Angle TNA matches. I dont know how I went so long without seeing one really. 8.5/10
    Keep it Kool.... Keep it Stuie Kool

Triple H smashed my face into a car windshield, and then took my mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out for a nice seafood dinner and never called her again.

Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint! ---Sparrow

vCash
    Hakushi vs. The 123 Kid

Where do I know Hakushi from?

Huh, just looked him up, and he's Jinsei Shinzaki from Michinoku Pro! Cool. Boo you, how dare you not be American? How actually f*cking dare you. His music sounds kinda like Mankind's original music.

It's really east to forget that Waltman is actually a pretty great worker on his day. Nice little bit of by-the-book chain wrestling at the beginning. Remember when crowds reacted to stuff? Ah, the good old days. This match might break the record for most kip-ups. Great to see some flippy lucha stuff. I'm a slut for flippy lucha stuff.

Good, fun little match I thought. I enjoyed the lucha / super junior influence with both guys. At the time, 1995, that style was probably at it's peak in Japan, so it's fun to see the influence in America. Hakushi's Bronco Buster is WAY more bad-ass than X-Pac's by the way.

Fun little match, I enjoyed it; 7/10

Taz vs. Yoshihiro Taijiri

I can't remember this match, but I MUST have seen it. I love me some Taz and Taijiri.

Taz's suplexs are insane. I'd ask how he managed to throw them like that without injuring anyone, but, yeah. Taijiri's awesome too, super-junior-ing his way all over the place. I quite liked the spots, even if they were a little telegraphed. Very good hardcore spots though, made all the better by selling them like they'd just died CZW.

I'm going to go out give this one some pretty high marks; 8/10

Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle vs. Christian Cage

I know resent this thread for making me watch TNA. If I was a dick, I'd take away a mark just for it being TNA, but, I will actually take away a mark for it being over 30 minutes, because rules is rules playboy.

Ah, look at Joe being used even slightly properly, with a belt and all that, bless his socks.

Jesus, when's the match?

Come oooooooon.

Come oooooooooon!

YAY! Right, off we go.

This is quite good. No reason for it not to be either, these are three great works, and there doesn't seem to be any wacky TNA-ness going on. Ahaha, yeah, there you go Angle, no you know how it feels when no one cares about your finishing move. Welcome to the rest of TNA since you showed up. This is good stuff though, a few nice spots here and there, but not too many, a lot of nice, clean cut wrestling.

This actually gets better as it goes on. I always remember that Joe used to be great, but I always forget just how great. Look at him flying around with his big fat body.

A ref bump AND interference? Why, TNA, with this over-booking you are spoiling us.

My verdict of this match is the same verdict I have to all TNA; a good match with great workers ruined by an incredibly shitty wrestling promotion; 6/10

EDIT: Forgot about the -1 for going over 30 minutes (even if it was only pre-match stuff, still): 5/10

Chris Jericho vs. Jeff Hardy

This, on paper, should be quite good. I'm not sure when this match happened, so I don't know if this is very good Jeff Hardy, or very high Jeff Hardy. Oh it's fat Christ Jericho, which is actually a good thing, because that means good Jeff Hardy.

Listen to Jim Ross making titles sound important. Talk about Twitter Jim, come on, I didn't tune in to hear about f*cking wrestling.

Nice little brawling start, but now it's looking very by-the-books. Which isn't a bad thing I suppose. The match is looking above average rather than great though.

Jericho flying out of the ring was great.

Not appreciating all the rest holds. There's a time and a place for them, but, in a match like this, I'm not a fan of them, there isn't enough time to really appreciate them.

This is fun. I feel like I haven't seen a Norther lights in ages. Jeff screwed up the bridge-escape-pin-combo spot a little bit, but all is forgiven, because this match has been good otherwise.

Really didn't see the end coming, in a good way, I thought it was ending with the Swanton Bomb. Very good little TV match; 7/10
    Last edited by John Hancock; 24-11-2011 at 12:57 AM.
    TWO Senior Moderator

Boxing and MMA Forum Leader: Boxing and MMA Forum

vCash
    Jeff Hardy vs Chris Jericho - Raw 2008

I remember really liking this match when it happened. I've seen a fair bit of 2008 in recent times but not this, so I'm interested.

I loved the opening where the slaps lead to a brawl, I like how unexpected it was for this kind of match. Jericho's big bump over the ringpost was cool, Jeff running the barricade and DYING on the table was even cooler. Great spot. I also liked Jericho's little vaulting splash here, busting out something different, and he looked good on heat.

Then we get into the counterz! That is absolutely the magic word with me. Great counters down the stretch - Jericho running into the necktie lariat. Jericho missing the bulldog into Whisper in the Wind! Jericho busts out more randomness with the Northern Lights, and I liked the bridge spot. I always seem to like it when smaller guys do bridge spots. Seems more impressive. But back to the counterz, Jeff misses the Mule Kick into Jericho's random crossbody that Jeff rolled through. The Twist of Fate miss right into the Lionsault was so damn smooth. Loved that. Finally Jeff counters the Walls, ducks the enziguri, hits the TOF and goes for the Swanton and we all know its all over but he missed! Bam, Codebreaker.

That was a super fun TV match. The only thing missing was blue ring ropes, really, to be everything I loved about 2008 TV. Its a perfect example of both Jeff and Jericho having stunning 2008s as well, even though, well it might be Jericho's TV MOTY actually, but its not even Top 5 for Jeff on TV that year. Anyway, my point is, this is great. 8/10

Thread Information