Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Taz Vs Tajiri

Yeah, both these guys ruled in ECW. I forgot how bad ass Taz looked back then. Its a testiment to his gimmick that C2K thinks his suplexes are that much more dangerous than a normal one. Snug yeah, dangerous nah, not if you know what you're doing.
    This is a perfect example of how to do a hardcore style match, limit your spots and sell them like a bastard. The Styles stuff at the end 'stay wide, stay widfe, this selfish bastard is going to get us thrown of pay per view' was brilliantly done.

Yeah, loved this entire thing. 8.5/10
    TWO Senior Moderator

¿¡Por qué no te callas!?

vCash
    Here's mine.

vCash
    The only real rule about what you can or cant use is that the total length of the video(s) you post cannot exceed 30 minutes.

Jamster, learn to read you plum!

edit: I should add that I'm joking. I imagin that tiny bit over isnt actually going to bother anyone.
    Last edited by Paul; 17-11-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    TWO Senior Moderator

¿¡Por qué no te callas!?

vCash
    Yeah I'll let it go, but please do learn to read.

Taz vs Yoshihiro Tajiri - ECW Heat Wave '99

The amount of ECW I've watched from this period is miniscule. In fact I'm not sure if I've even seen a single match post-97.

Despite the fact that I have no idea whats going on I liked how the video cut in 'in progress'. Gave it that chaotic, ECW feel. Anyway, I liked this match probably more than I thought I would. I liked the early moonsault outside, and especially the Tarantula countered with an Alabama Slam. I hope someone else thought to do that, thats a cool spot. I liked Tajiri kicking him and Taz going "F*ck that" and suplexing him onto his head, although the headdrops in general make me cringe. I legit laughed at Corino being wheelchair'd, for whatever reason. The powerbomb on the ramp looked like it sucked. I totally loved Taz doing the badass no-sell of the Kicks ending in the table suplex, that rocked.

Finish was weird as hell to me watching it, to me the "go wide!" panicking was overly contrived and didnt interest me, especially as it only resulted in me not having any idea what was going on. I didnt even realise it was barbed wire until reading this thread afterwards. I'd probably be more impressed/grossed out with the spot had I actually seen it. As it was, it was anti-climactic.

Anyway, on the whole I rather enjoyed it, despite the issues. The match itself I liked, as a sort of bomb-throwing sprint, with Tajiri throwing all his offense at Taz and Taz being the badass ace and tossing him around. 7/10
    Last edited by Jimmy Redman; 18-11-2011 at 03:03 AM.

vCash
    Taz vs Yoshihiro Tajiri - Really liked the start of this one, the fast-paced high-flying and suplexes make it seem as if each man wants to beat the other up as quickly as possible. Of course, the match then slows down, but it's still very enjoyable. The outside stuff was fun too.....that wheelchair to the face looked really dangerous, good grief! The finish was ruined by the "go-wide" thing though, way to ruin what could have been a nasty looking finish, instead you can't see anything! I'll also say this: this is far from my favourite match of either man, but overall I really enjoyed it. I just think that if the pace didn't slow down shortly after it began, and the finish was actually shown properly, I would have enjoyed it far more. Still, a good match, and it gets a generous 7/10 from me.

I'll review Jamster's pick later.
    http://youtube.com/shaolinhandlock (Language Warning)

http://www.reverbnation.com/shaolinakashaolinhandlock (Language Warning)

ShaolinHandLock: The #1 Kung Fu Movie Expert on TWO!

vCash
    Yeah my favorite Taz match was vs Bam Bam Bigelow at Heatwave 98, and I loved Tajiri's series with Mikey Whipwreck. I just remember how much I personally loved the finish of the heatwave 99 match.
    Keep it Kool.... Keep it Stuie Kool

Triple H smashed my face into a car windshield, and then took my mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out for a nice seafood dinner and never called her again.

Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint! ---Sparrow

vCash
    Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle vs Christian Cage - I may have said this before, but any time I see Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe in the ring against each other, I always enjoy it. And while I may enjoy their singles matches more, this match here is different, obviously, so I'm not really comparing it to the Angle/Joe singles matches. Also, between the pre-match comments, Sting, and the introductions, it seems to take forever for the actual match to start.....anyway, this match also illustrates something that I hate about TNA, asn that's that they ruined Samoa Joe. Enough of that though, onto the match itself. I quite like how Joe and Christian take out Angle and then wrestle between themselves...only for Angle to suddenly trip-up Christian and UPPERCUT! Good fun there. Then more fun, as Angle belly-to-bellies like mad, launching Christian right onto the floor. Then onto more Angle/Joe goodness. As I said before, I always enjoy Angle vs Joe. Of course Christian suddenly appears again and GROIN! Since I'm sick of going into specifics all the time, I'll just say that I enjoyed the rest of the match, but some points I will bring up: A couple of those German suplexes that Angle does to Christian look nasty, as Christians head bounced off the mat. Christians arm-drag from the Angle Slam position was fun, as was Angle's Ankle Lock setup from the outside. And I think I know the answer already, but is TNA capable of having a match without a screwey finish involving interference? Now that that's all said and done, the rating. I'm pretty sure I've seen this match before, but I had to watch it again as it wasn't at all fresh in my memory. I enjoyed the match, it was very much worth watching, but it left me with a lingering thought in the back of my mind: that is that I'd rather be watching any of the Angle vs Joe singles matches. Still, it's a good match in its own right, and I'd give it a 7.5/10.
    http://youtube.com/shaolinhandlock (Language Warning)

http://www.reverbnation.com/shaolinakashaolinhandlock (Language Warning)

ShaolinHandLock: The #1 Kung Fu Movie Expert on TWO!

vCash
    123 Kid vs Hakushi

I remember this match pretty well as it's always been a favourite. It surprised me when I first saw it as i really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. And on subsequent viewings the match hasn't deteriorated in quality any. A quality match, 7.5/10.

Tajiri vs Taz

Not something I've seen before actually, but I enjoyed it. Both pretty good workers here. The pace throughout is maintained nicely. There are a couple of issues as mentioned but overall fine.7/10

Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle vs Christian Cage

I can't remember if I've seen this match before, probably haven't. It's good, wouldn't go so far as to call it great, but between good and great (very good I guess). Didn't reallly like the finish but the action is high. 8/10.

TWO Hall of Fame Member
    vCash
    I'm probably reviewing these in far more depth than I need to... I'll review this in quarters as I probably won't have time to review it all at once. Please look out for my "TNA~!" symbols for things I find TNA-riffic.

1st Quarter

I have to laugh immediately when I see Samoa Joe with the world title. Remember when he was a legitimate threat and not a joke finishing a tournament series on minus points? The promo made little sense seeing as it was primarily aimed at somebody not involved in the actual match. And by "primarily" I mean "completely". TNA~! Creepy video package man is always fun to listen to, but I never understand why we need video packages to hype a PPV we have theoretically already bought. I was wondering what was going on with Booker before the "travel issues" were mentioned. Main eventers missing the show? TNA~! And it looks like we're heading into video 2 before the match starts...

2nd Quarter

Wow these entrances sure do go on a bit. At least the ECW match in this week's round completely cut them out. It does remind me though that Angle's entrance is about 100 times better than any other TNA wrestler in history. Oh, here's Sting. This must be unrelated to the match. And there goes Sting. We're finally starting the match after FIFTEEN MINUTES of build-up. Two faces beating up a heel two-on-one? TNA~! At least I think Joe is a face, the previous fifteen minutes have given me strong indicators to both being a face and a heel.

3rd Quarter

Angle took a a sick bump on his neck on the way out the ring, reminding me again that the man is absolutely insane for still being in the wrestling business. A lot of people get annoyed with the concept of a 3-way match having the same sort of action, two guys fighting and the other guy having a break, but I've never minded it that much as it always keeps the action fresh. Speaking f bumps leaving the ring, Christian went FLYING and had a horrible landing. I guess Joe's strikes are a bit "snug" as well and I'm sure glad I'm not on the receiving end. We get some contrast with the old school BITING~! followed by the new school top rope belly to belly suplex. Jack Brisco never did that. I did like the choke/Angle Slam/suplex series, Angle and Joe really do work sensationally well together.

4th Quarter

Well that was certainly a nice variation on the tower of doom spot, and it was probably the highlight of the match overall. The german suplex off the apron is a bit annoying because everyone knows that it's not going to actually happen, so the crowd don't react to it. Don West is so great, "he went for that kick that he does!", I wish he was doing commentary still. A double ankle lock? That seems a bit too whacky for me to accept I'm afraid. OK, Joe is insane, that corkscrew looked great and was incredibly risky considering the guard rail was so close when they had the six-sided ring. I would ask why a no-DQ triple threat match needs a ref bump to bring a chair in and do a low blow, but why would I question it? Oh lord here's Jeff Jarrett. Hey, he hit a guy with a guitar. This must be that No Surrender from the year 2000. And it bust Angle open hardway (I think), so that's lovely. But the video gains some respect with the 1920's dress-up advert at the end.

I'm giving the match a 7 out of 10, it was a lot shorter than I thought it would be based on the length of the videos (over half of which wasn't actually a match), but the in-ring stuff was good and I don't really know why Booker T would have been needed for it. I found the major drawbacks to be the over-booked start and finish of the match with Sting and Jarrett.

By the way, I've decided that when I do my videos they're deliberately going to be matches designed as guilty pleasures... Whatever that may be...

Now a fully-fledged member of the Paige bandwagon. Lovely, lovely Paige.

vCash
    Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle vs Christian Cage - TNA No Surrender 2008

Ah, Joe's title reign. Lulz. I hate to turn this into a LOLTNA thing, but the way they left in that video of the four-way when Booker obviously wasnt there is just such a terrible lack of quality control. There was just no reason to play that video.

This isnt hepled by the fact that there were so much extra-curricular stuff going on that the match didnt start until the end of the second video. This isnt Jamster's fault, more the fault of whoever made the video, because while I dont mind that stuff watching it live, there's no need for it when I'm watching it on YouTube and feeling like I wasted my time for the first 15 minutes wasnt fun. Plus, the Joe and Sting rubbish was rubbish.

Anyway, there's a match. Christian really held it together early with his crazy bumps and his offense. There were some cool spots that I liked in this - the Killswitch into the Germans, then the choke-Angle Slam-German sequence. Then, my God, Angle did hit the Angle Slam and NOBODY F*CKING CARED. At all. It could have been an arm drag. It was pathetic really, the worst kind of validation for me saying over and over again that Angle kills finishers. I have to say they recovered huge with the powerbomb/Angle's Throw Tower of Doom, that was cool. I also liked the Angle/Christian sequence of Christian's Rope Stomp thing to the apron German tease to the Pendulum to the Ankle Lock. Fun times. My problem again is that I never bought a single Ankle Lock. F*ck a Kurt Angle.

Joe's TORNILLO dive was insane as always though. "This is Awesome" was pretty hilarious at this point but I'd take easily pleased TNA crowds over depressingly dead TNA crowds any day. The last great spot in this was Christian seeing Angle running towards his Throw and LEAPING OVER into the frogsplash. Loved that. Then of course we get finishers and ref bumps and Jarrett interfering with the guitar for the finish. So lame.

And like Joe didnt have enough problems. He's in a sh*tty feud with someone not even in the match, a babyface champ being booked like an asshole and a chump, he gets booed in this title defense, and needs help from Jeff f*cking Jarrett to win. Before he loses the belt cleanly to Sting at BFG to end his lame ass title run and send him back to the midcard. F*ck TNA.

Match itself was fine, although I have to say not as good (or as long) as I expected outside of a few cool spots. And the finisher killing and usual TNA bullsh*t offended me far too much. 5/10

Thread Information