Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 64
  1. #11
    Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Age
    33
    Posts
    36,386
    vCash
    300
    Bad example as burning bras didnt happen. Or sayeth QI.
    ¿¡Por qué no te callas!?

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,986
    vCash
    475
    Yeah, it was a shorthand for the Suffragette movement and later Womans Lib, both of which weren't exactly subtle.

  3. #13
    Senior Moderator John Hancock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London / New York
    Age
    26
    Posts
    21,632
    vCash
    956470
    They didn't burn them, but they did throw them in bins. They wanted to burn them, but they couldn't get the permit to do so in public.

    Feminists burn bras now though, so it does happen.
    TWO Senior Moderator

    Boxing and MMA Forum Leader: Boxing and MMA Forum

  4. #14
    DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Damien Demento's house
    Age
    37
    Posts
    32,198
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Anime Otaku View Post
    According to this article it was a male officer. http://www.excal.on.ca/news/dont-dre...t-toronto-cop/
    Yeah, my mistake; I misread the original article I saw the story mentioned. Apologies, Megz.
    No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes
    And no one knows
    What it's like to be hated
    To be fated to telling only lies

  5. #15
    The Beltster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    21,430
    vCash
    500
    'Feminists'....the polite name for highly strung, stuck up dykes!

  6. #16
    DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Damien Demento's house
    Age
    37
    Posts
    32,198
    vCash
    500
    'Misogynist' - the polite name for Beltster.
    No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes
    And no one knows
    What it's like to be hated
    To be fated to telling only lies

  7. #17
    Omega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    just over there
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15,271
    vCash
    1433
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beltster View Post
    'Feminists'....the polite name for highly strung, stuck up dykes!
    Just because I think it's worth mentioning here that many feminists are actually AGAINST the slut walk. I'd never heard of this term before I started talking to this person about the slut walk but the main "group" organising it consider themselves to be "Sex Positive". So essentially it's the idea that actually being sexually active is always a good thing but really you're talking about people raging against the kind of people who would call someone a slut and mean it whole heartedly.

    And that's what kind of ruined it for me because unlike what John said they really are all about reclaiming the word Slut as much as they are protesting police attitudes or the treatment of rape victims in society. I don't disagree with the vague stance that sex is a positive thing but there's all these other undercurrents like "why can't women be sluts if they want" and "if men can be sluts why can't women" which again are all pointless things to try and rail against.
    We're here and we're taking over!

  8. #18
    The Beltster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    21,430
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    'Misogynist' - the polite name for Beltster.
    I love women, as long as they can cook and clean.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,986
    vCash
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I don't disagree with the vague stance that sex is a positive thing but there's all these other undercurrents like "why can't women be sluts if they want" and "if men can be sluts why can't women" which again are all pointless things to try and rail against.
    See, now I don't see those as pointless things to rail against. Why should it be ok for a man to put it about, but a woman is a ***** or a slut if she does? That's just blatantly sexist.

  10. #20
    Or should I? Anime Otaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ridin' on muh 38's
    Posts
    12,062
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Just because I think it's worth mentioning here that many feminists are actually AGAINST the slut walk. I'd never heard of this term before I started talking to this person about the slut walk but the main "group" organising it consider themselves to be "Sex Positive". So essentially it's the idea that actually being sexually active is always a good thing but really you're talking about people raging against the kind of people who would call someone a slut and mean it whole heartedly.
    Sex Positive is more that Sexuality and sex between consenting adults of any gender identity is nothing to be ashamed of, basically it opposes the extreme feminism (Sex between Men and Women is always rape even if she consents) and conservatives, particularly the religious right, that says sexuality is shameful and should not be expressed openly, and tries to push a hetronormative stance on people.
    We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, but violence is practiced in broad daylight.
    John Lennon

    “There is a rumor going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist."
    Sir Terry Pratchett


    Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •