Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Where do you find new music? *Moved from Albums of the Year thread*

Some of ye have listed some weird bands? Where do ye hear about them?
    And please don't say the generic NME.

vCash
    I'd be very upset to hear that anyone in this forum read NME. Very upset indeed.

I hear about bands through other magazine (though that's a rare enough thing), the internet, Last FM recommendations, iTunes Genius recommendations, bands supporting bands I already like at shows, recommendations from friends, the radio, music TV, soundtracks, YouTube recommendations...
    TWO Senior Moderator

Boxing and MMA Forum Leader: Boxing and MMA Forum

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldStandard View Post
    Mojo is the only magazine I buy, I've got like every issue from the last seven years, I mostly get it for the articles though. For new music I check out Pitchfork (some of their reviews are horrible but they update with news every day and usually stream stuff from new bands), the music board on 4chan has a good amount of info and links on new stuff (and it's fun to argue over there) and, as Mr. Hancock mentioned, Lastfm is mostly good as well. The music board on SomethingAwful and the hipinion board are good too (hipinion has topics on all sorts of other stuff too though).

Quote Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
    In no particular order:
    5. Avi Buffalo - Avi Buffalo
    Completely out of the blue, this one. I'm not sure who told me to get this album, but their recommendation was enough. Basically this is a band that formed in high school in Long Beach, CA when they were all 15 and 16. After they left school they played some gigs, some band members left to get actual jobs and/or go to college, and the main guy, Avi, decided to carry on. Really hard to describe their sound. Portishead paced, Beach Boys style harmonies, strummy guitars, filtered a smudge, and oft immature lyrics. Very absorbing though. Highly recommended .
    Another album I liked a fair bit a few months back, Summer Cum is ridiculously catchy.
    Self pity and conceit are not wrong. Your mother was in error.

vCash
    A multitude of places. Like Frank Botch, I read the SomethingAwful music forums and get introduced to some bands there (Big Black Delta, I found in a thread dedicated to Nine Inch Nails). Also, Spotify is great for related artists to bands you already like, or for just clicking on random albums on the front "what's new" page. Those are my main sources, although Twitter is also good if you follow the right accounts or just get word of mouth for some good tunes.

vCash
    Spotify's not available over here. Ah crap.

vCash
    Weird? Hardly.

For me it's Pitchfork, /mu/ and last.fm.
    "Opened a cloest door and a pair of trousers spinning around no wind or anything just trousers spinning." - WAYNE

vCash
    Only mag I read is Classic Rock (which has really good new band coverage, ironically, including some really good CDs full of new and unsigned bands) and I get a lot of suggestions from Twitter users, facebook users, last.fm, spotify, and even just reading reviews and interviews, following up on names referenced
    Swig of beer for the workin' man.
    -- Steve Austin

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

// Tweet! // WrestleHolic // eBay Stuff! // The Inno View //

vCash
    As people have said Last.fm, SA's music board (though they can be a bit snobby), thesixtyone.com and Soundcloud.com on occasion.
    I'm a Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip fan so I definitely shalt not read NME, though I do like Coca Cola...
    We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, but violence is practiced in broad daylight.
    John Lennon

“There is a rumor going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist."
    Sir Terry Pratchett

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.

vCash
    NME is for twelve year-olds and idiots.
    "Opened a cloest door and a pair of trousers spinning around no wind or anything just trousers spinning." - WAYNE

vCash
    NME is for people who just want to be "cool", and don't really care what they have to do to be it. It's like a clothing catalogue for the Emperor's new clothes.

"Are you going to a warehouse rave in Shoreditch this Thursday? Than make sure you pretend to like Ghana's newest electro-two-step-trip-hop-minimalist two-some, Jesus Hitler and the Funky Gas Chambers"

No one who reads NME really likes that sort of music, because it just changes so fast that it would be pretty much impossible for that to always be someone's taste. It's a fashion magazine, but with music instead of clothes, and all it's saying is, "This is the band that it looks good to listen to this seasons", instead of, "These are the clothes that it looks good to wear this season".

It's not "evil" or destroying music of anything, it's just a bit silly a shallow, and not even slightly for people who actually have an independent, individual taste in music. If you like indie, like it, if you like American tween-pop, like it, if you like emo, like it, who, apart from, really, just the most pathically clique, cliched show offs and try-hards, would have a problem with that? But like them because you like them, not because someone told you to, and, equally, don't stop liking something just because it's suddenly not cool either.
    TWO Senior Moderator

Boxing and MMA Forum Leader: Boxing and MMA Forum

Thread Information