Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Making new stars?

Oh completely agree, I'm just trying to look for positives or signs they realised that the last tourney was a bad idea. I just guess for me in comparison to the Rumble where most of those guys did absolutely nothing before being thrown out with ease, it was a step up in the world.

But I have to admit, I don't think the gap between midcard and headliner has ever been as big as it's been now. It's actually pretty frightening and I'd say it's a safe bet that bar injuries/untimely death/panic/luck that no new stars will be created by this time next year.

And that will be like 6 years or so since anyone's got anywhere. Punk's a maybe but he's still nowhere near the league of every other main eventer. Edge and Jeff don't count seeing as they were stars in 2002 and were always going to be main eventers because of that reason. Sheamus? Erm at this rate maybe, but touch and go.

Either way that's it. In 5 years.

I mean even in the crap time between 92 and 97, look at how many guys became main eventers. Just scary stuff how bad it's got.
    Turns Water into Funk

Weekly Column: The Iron Jung!
    http://www.wrestling101.com/101/category/jung

vCash
    I dont think you can really say Edge and Jeff dont count. Why dont they count? Plenty of guys were "always" going to be stars and it never happened.

Jeff became a big star sometime in the previous 2 years.
    Orton I believe didnt really make it as a main eventer until late 2007, so thats then.
    Edge was made in 2006.
    Cena and Batista in 2005.

I mean there's no way I'm disagreeing with you on the huge gap (its monumental) or the lack of new stars (I dont think they'll make anyone this year either), but to say that they havent made any in the last 6 years, thats hardly accurate.

vCash
    If they get lucky and don't f around with his character Miz might break through to the main event, but for all his promo skills he doesn't really have outstanding in ring talent. John Morrison has potential to be there if he worked on his promo skills or at the least turned heel again. If Swagger gets moved to Smackdown he could probably be revived as a serious wrestler.

I'd love to add Kofi to that list, but frankly to salvage him at this point would require something drastic, maybe experimental surgery.

Other than that Shelton, Carlito, Truth, Knox, Haas, all these wrestlers have the ability or charisma to be taken more seriously by the fans, but the issue is the WWE booking. If the WWE got off their asses and did some serious work on these wrestlers for a change they'd have the talent they need for a main event, but no, They just cling to their older wrestlers like they learned nothing from WCW.
    Keep in mind that what I've said is merely my opinion, but keep in mind that I'm always right.
    You'll be happy to know that 61 percent of the WWE Universe voters think the WWE Draft is better than the NFL, NBA, another major sports drafts. In related news, 61 percent of the WWE Universe voters are morons.

vCash
    IMO, these are the stars of the future if polished properly and turned heel or face depending on the wrestler:

• Miz
    • Morrison
    • Drew
    • Kofi
    • Orton
    • Cena
    • Punk

I know some guys like Cena and Orton are already stars but come five years time, Orton is going to be THE man, THE top dog around because honestly, the guy is just awesome and Cena, well, IMO, he hasn't reached his full potential yet because he hasn't been turned heel. Yeah, I know that he sells tons of merchendize and yada yada, but when Vince and company eventually decide to pull the plug on 'Heel Cena', it's going to be freaking MONUMENTAL ala Hogan 96'.
    "Mucha gente dice que el fútbol no tiene nada que ver con la vida, no se cuánto saben de la vida, pero de fútbol no saben nada..."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Redman View Post
    I dont think you can really say Edge and Jeff dont count. Why dont they count? Plenty of guys were "always" going to be stars and it never happened.

Jeff became a big star sometime in the previous 2 years.
    Orton I believe didnt really make it as a main eventer until late 2007, so thats then.
    Edge was made in 2006.
    Cena and Batista in 2005.

I mean there's no way I'm disagreeing with you on the huge gap (its monumental) or the lack of new stars (I dont think they'll make anyone this year either), but to say that they havent made any in the last 6 years, thats hardly accurate.
    They don't count because they could have been main eventers years before they were. Jeff Hardy had a major clean win over HHH in 2001, had a major match with Undertaker in 2002. He was a star then, he was always going to be a star when loads of other people left/died etc and nobody was created, while he was still super over.

He only eventually got the title and a renewed push because it was so incredibly obvious he was the most over person in the company and the fans were dying to see him be there. He'd been that way for ages and they just had to. It wasn't like they made him when he could have got that title for the previous 2 years but they hadn't had faith in him.

Same with Edge, won the 2001 KOTR, was put in major programmes with main eventers in 2002 (Angle was already a main guy, and he beat him clean repeatedly) he main evented house shows against Lesnar in early 2003 too and had he not got injured then, would have been a main eventer. He then had major programmes in 2005 and like Jeff, was already a star from the early part of the decade.

Basically I don't include those two because they weren't built up to become a star. Both Jeff and Hardy had been uppermidcarders since 2001 (on and off with Jeff obviously). They were stars then, they just weren't given a push because they had plenty of top guys then who were young and fit. They then got lost in the queue for various reasons (injury/drugs/new people taking their place) and probably that's why it took so long.

But they were always going to be stars from 2001, because they were super over and allowed to feud and beat top guys.

Orton since 2007? No way. He won the title in 2004 and then feuded with HHH, had major programme with Undertaker in 2005, Hogan and Mysterio in 2006, last one eliminated from the Rumble in 2006. So yeah he got the title and a longer run in 2007, but he was already a top guy by that point for sure.

And yeah Cena and Batista. 5 years ago. My point was if they don't make another star this year, which you agree with, it will then be 6 years (i.e. Feb 2011) since they last did with Cena/Batista.

I just can't count Orton seeing as he was main eventing back in 2004 or Jeff/Edge seeing as they were in major major matches back in like 2001/2002.
    Turns Water into Funk

vCash
    You're not counting Hardy because he got a big win over HHH once? REALLY? Because you know, he got slaughtered about a week later and didn't touch the main event spot again until about a year after that - a spot he held for, oh, about a week again.

This is why new stars don't get made - no one knows what making or being a star actually is any more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    You're not counting Hardy because he got a big win over HHH once? REALLY? Because you know, he got slaughtered about a week later and didn't touch the main event spot again until about a year after that - a spot he held for, oh, about a week again.

This is why new stars don't get made - no one knows what making or being a star actually is any more.
    Well what is one then?

Please enlighten.

I'm not counting Hardy because fact is Hardy was super over in 2001/2002...and he was super over in 2009. He was allowed to beat and look incredibly competitive against the top guys back then. I'm not saying the guy is Hulk Hogan and yes HHH hammered him on the return, but the fans clearly bought him as somebody credible and when they were in-ring together they didn't look at it like top guy v someone who's not in his league. He didn't look out of place. I mean he was as over then, as he was in 2009, so was he made into something bigger? No he was as popular as he ever was and he main evented because they haven't made anybody else and he's super over...2 and 2 together.

But you want to count Hardy now even though he main evented what 3 PPV's as a headline attraction? So it's a spot he holds for about 2 months before vanishing again. Does that make him a star? That's what I find confusing so yeah what is a star then?

Either way who have they made into a star in 5 years? You can have Hardy/Edge if you really want. That makes 2 people since Cena/Batista. It's still sh*t. I assume when you say nobody knows what making or being a star is, you're including WWE in that?
    Turns Water into Funk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post

Agree, shit am i ill?

There is a reason why they haven't made anyone in like 3 years and those made this decade are stars but not massive ones people what WWE for WWE these days. They good old days of real stars such as Hogan, Rock and Austin are over IMHO
    What Chocolate Bar does this wrestler look like.......

vCash
    But they haven't made any new full-time main eventers in 5 years or since Cena/Batista, allowing maybe Hardy/Edge who were upper midcarders for 5 years+ before they finally got a headline chance.

Nobody's saying it's bad they haven't found a new Hogan, heck that would be harsh. But they haven't even pushed anybody, or barely anybody in 5 years to the main event. As I said earlier, maybe Punk but even he's showed to be massively inferior to their regular top guys.

I suppose the better statement would be, they've barely made any new headliners since Cena/Batista which is 5 years ago. And that's probably the worst it's been since Vince Jr took over.
    Turns Water into Funk

vCash
    It all seems to come down to impatiance. Kofi was getting really over then they just dropped the big push towards the main event mid flow and left him where he was in the upper mid card area and I can see the same happening to Miz who seems to be the newest one on his way up going by fan reaction.

It doesn't help that when you give a new guy the belt you book him worse then the older main eventers. Sheamus got the gold yet HHH has been booked like the champ not Sheamus.

Thread Information