Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Wrestling Is In A Good State ***SPLIT FROM TNA THREAD*** NO SPOILERS

To all the posters: Jaded, much?

I realize this is my very first post but I had to sign up to the forums to reply in this thread. As a wrestling fan I have had my ups and downs. I started watching wrestling perhaps 15 years ago so I have been in the thick of things since the original Monday night wars. I would watch WCW Nitro and during commercial breaks switch to RAW until I got a VCR and started taping RAW (and later DVR'ing it!). When WCW went under I was very sad as I love the innovation of their cruiserweight division and loved the WCW stars more then the WWF stars. Unlike some I HATED the Attitude Era with a passion. I hated most of the storylines (Mark Henry being the father of a hand, anyone?) but I still enjoyed watching it for the wrestling.

When WCW died the only thing I could watch was WWF so I did, and thankfully the storylines got better (and are still better today). With the Internet I could watch the occasional Ring of Honor show or taped indie wrestling (and now on HDNet I get Ring of Honor every Monday at 8PM). TNA started and I was ordering their PPV's every week for a while.

A few years ago I suffered a personal tragedy and I lost pretty much the desire to do anything and lost interest in wrestling. A few years passed and now in retrospect I know I missed a lot of great storylines and matches on both WWE and TNA. But finally, maybe 3 years ago, I turned on RAW and watched it. I realized I missed it. I still couldn't get back into it but found myself occasionally watching it. Finally I started setting my DVR to record it.

I found myself watching wrestling again with a passion and a joy that I hadn't felt in years. Now I devour what's on TV. WWE Raw, ECW (now NXT which I think is very good), TNA, Smackdown, ROH. I can DVR everything in amazing HIGH DEFINITION (well RAW, NXT and ROH) and watch these amazing events in picture perfect clarity. For the first time in years I'm going to be getting Wrestlemania because I am excited at the card.

This brings me back full circle to the beginning - wrestling fans have become jaded. If you hate the product so much, stop watching it. There's plenty of other TV shows on to flip to if you dislike RAW and TNA. Why am I being so forward with my opinions?

My friends. They are ALL in the same boat, jaded wrestling fans. We used to LOVE wrestling, we used to order all the PPV's get together and have a great time and now? I'm the only one who watches it. The others either hate it or complain incessantly about what's WRONG with the product instead of what's RIGHT.

We went to one live event and they actually COMPLAINED every time someone blew a spot. Like they could have done better? Like they could have even ATTEMPTED the move? I highly doubt it. Yet all they did was complain. They weren't excited, they weren't happy - they were just there and harping on every little detail.

This is what a lot of the old generation has come to, but it's inevitable. It happens with most product/TV shows, etc. You get older, and you complain more.

But you need to look at the product with new eyes, people. Better eyes. The quality of wrestling has gone UP, not DOWN in the WWE. I heard people say this Monday's RAW was terrible. I'm sorry, it was a very well done episode. It continues to push Wrestlemania and get me excited for all the matches.

Minor RAW Spoiler

I typically don't care for Undertaker but the 'taker/Michaels confrontation at the beginning was great.

Batista is being pushed as a massive heel (and he can do it, too). He's lost excess weight and his muscles don't look as cartoonish any longer. He looks mean and ready to take the fight to Cena (who I hate but again, I like the fact that he's unsure of himself when it comes to Batista).

TNA? What can I say - I'm not the biggest fan of reusing old wrestlers when there is so much talent out there, but what I saw on Monday night TNA/Nitro (lol) was rather good. Better acting on RAW to be sure, but the WWE always gets the best actors/wrestlers (at least these days).

Finally, before I go off on too many tangents, I'm currently re-watching Wrestlemania I. Re-watch that and please tell me that Tito Santana vs. the Masked Executioner is a far better match then any match on RAW this Monday. Don't think you can.

The product has grown and has become a better product. It isn't worse. It just feels that way in the eyes of jaded wrestling fans (and I'm not saying its perfect, either. There is still crap segments, matches etc. that pop up on every show).

Wake up (I don't mean that in a bad way)! Shake off that sleep and watch RAW and TNA with different eyes.

Oh, and go watch WWE NXT. You'll thank me for it.

vCash
    You do make some good points Aslan (named after the band?)
    People who nit-pick wrestling shows in the fashion Lance Storm does, do my head in. When people over-analyse the small problems instead of looking at the good-positive points of the show it says a lot about the mind set of wrestling smarks these days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    The product has grown and has become a better product. It isn't worse. It just feels that way in the eyes of jaded wrestling fans.
    Some good points, but this above it nonsense. You are giving your personal opinion and putting it over as fact.

Has it grown into a bigger industry? Sure...has it become better? Looks wise sure, creatively? No. Its because a shitload worse, FOR ME. I'm not jaded, I just like what I like.

vCash
    People who nit-pick wrestling shows in the fashion Lance Storm does, do my head in. When people over-analyse the small problems instead of looking at the good-positive points of the show it says a lot about the mind set of wrestling smarks these days
    to be fair that is what the IWC do, they have very little else to do clearly
    What Chocolate Bar does this wrestler look like.......

vCash
    Does ANYONE, other than Asian, obviously, think that, creatively, and match-wise, this is the best wrestling has ever been? Seriously, anyone at all. I for one think this is, since I started watching in 1997, the WORST professional wrestling has ever been. I'm just interested in seeing what other people think.
    TWO Senior Moderator

Boxing and MMA Forum Leader: Boxing and MMA Forum

vCash
    nope its in the shits

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
    Does ANYONE, other than Asian, obviously, think that, creatively, and match-wise, this is the best wrestling has ever been? Seriously, anyone at all. I for one think this is, since I started watching in 1997, the WORST professional wrestling has ever been. I'm just interested in seeing what other people think.
    Shush...the biggest Wrestlemania of all time is around the corner, don't be silly.

vCash
    I have split this as I think it has the potential to be a good thread in its own right.
    ¿¡Por qué no te callas!?

vCash
    I think in terms of money its never been better for WWE, but due to there sheer amounts of TV, lack of booking ability, half decent roster the product has never been worse

In TNA they don't make money sadly, They have a good roster on paper but the days of 2006 are not here and the HoganTNA in my opinion is not as good as say just before he debuted when face AJ was wrestling Heel Aj can't be his best in the ring as people will just cheer him. I think the move to monday was a risk one that i wouldn't have taken yet as i said before i would have done Monday Clash of the champions shows every quarter or 2 months right before a PPV for maxium built to make money at the PPV.

Russo needs to go, i am not a hater of his but he has tried and failed to turn it around and to make TNA good all they would need to do is focus on wrestling allow WWE to be the sport entertianers. hence being different

so to summarise money up creative down

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
    While I'm sure there are a vast minority of long term fans who think this period is great, I think the fans who complain the least and enjoy the shows the most are newer fans who have nothing to compare todays pure shite with.

I've been watching since 1983, I cannot remember a time when I have literally despised wrestling in the way I do today. Its at its lowest right now, its garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Shush...the biggest Wrestlemania of all time is around the corner, don't be silly.

Thread Information