Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Wrestling and Stereotypes (mostly stereotypes)

I was just watchin a Sheamus interview there where he just basically voiced what the majority of the Irish think.
    He said he hates the whole lucky charms thing and tacky stereotypes that surround the Irish, which is why he has plays a character that's like himself. A person proud of Irish history and warriors.

vCash
    Yep, you have to love the way he's destroying the stereotype of violent Irishmen. And the way he's destroying the stereotype of celts being pale skined ginger haired people.

Honest to God, the way you talk you'd think the Irish were the only people given tacky stereotypes.
    ¿¡Por qué no te callas!?

vCash
    At least he's not drunk or off his head on meow meow all the time.

vCash
    Irish stereotypes are all true. No different from the fact that all Japanese are sneeky and carry salt. "No speakee any Engrish."

Randy Savage got married, here is a photo, although he is pretty much unrecognizable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    Yep, you have to love the way he's destroying the stereotype of violent Irishmen. And the way he's destroying the stereotype of celts being pale skined ginger haired people.

Honest to God, the way you talk you'd think the Irish were the only people given tacky stereotypes.
    I think it was mainly the Irish drunk leprechauns who talk with those accents you hear on shows like The Simpsons that he was tring to avoid.
    He is a stereotypical Celtic Warrior though with his spikey ginger hair, strong physique, beard and pale skin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldStandard View Post
    I was just watchin a Sheamus interview there where he just basically voiced what the majority of the Irish think.
    He said he hates the whole lucky charms thing and tacky stereotypes that surround the Irish, which is why he has plays a character that's like himself. A person proud of Irish history and warriors.
    National pride is largely a stupid thing. Unless we're talking about the current day people, coming together for something collectively eg. The World Cup.

Quite frankly I openly smirk when I hear people talk of how proud they are to be Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English, British, American or whatever. It's just pot-luck where you are born in this world and while you should thank your lucky stars that you ended up in a decent part of the world, it's a bit silly to start fawning over the country like it picked you personally to be born there.

Irish history is interesting, no doubt about it. I personally don't think much of it is to be proud of.

vCash
    Oh lord, and not all English people are upper middle class anachronisms from the Home Counties, not all French people are American hating artists, not all Germans are poe faced Nazis, not all Russians are psychotic Communists, not all Arabs are suicidal terrorists, not all Africans live in mud huts in tribes, not all black people like rap, not all Latin Americans are smooth talking party boys...

Welcome to wrestling GoldStandard. Get over it.
    TWO Senior Moderator

Boxing and MMA Forum Leader: Boxing and MMA Forum

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
    Oh lord, and not all English people are upper middle class anachronisms from the Home Counties, not all French people are American hating artists, not all Germans are poe faced Nazis, not all Russians are psychotic Communists, not all Arabs are suicidal terrorists, not all Africans live in mud huts in tribes, not all black people like rap, not all Latin Americans are smooth talking party boys...

Welcome to wrestling GoldStandard. Get over it.
    Yeah I know that. But in the WRESTLING WORLD wrestlers that aren't from North America are often made to play the role of the stereotypical guy from the country they're from.
    Just look at how Funaki, Kozlov and many others have been put into pathethic roles that play on the stereotypes of their countries.
    Look I was just quoting Sheamus, no need for a witch-hunt.

EDIT: When foreigners think of the Irish they think of stupid drunks. And he just wants to show another part of the Irish thats not talked about abroad. The warrior side.

vCash
    EXACTLY.

Thats just how wrestling works. It happens to every foreigner. So again, get over it!

vCash
    If I was a wrestler, I'd pretend to be Russian just to get a monster push!

Thread Information