Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I REALLY miss the Smackdown Six era. Best run of shows ever...
    Swig of beer for the workin' man.
    -- Steve Austin

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

// Tweet! // WrestleHolic // eBay Stuff! // The Inno View //

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayfunk View Post
    Yes creatively, my problem with it was you had before Raw and Smackdown which had one roster of all the best they had and then they had two rosters which split the best in two and brought in people to fill the shows which where not of the same quality thus making the shows IMHO weeker hence why brand PPV didn't work because outside the main guys no one gave a crap and the undercard
    Initially though the idea would have been fine cause they had so much leftover talent from WCW and ECW to utilise those spots. However the majority of them were either jobbed out or released by the end of 2002, meaning they had about 40 spots free which they filled with green, characterless nobodies who hadn't done much in a development territory.

In theory they could have used Storm, Awesome, Hayashi, Yang, Morrus, Chavo, Raven, Dreamer, Balls, Juventud, Psicosis, Crazy, Tajiri, Sabu, Sandman, Stasiak, O'Haire, Sanders, Jindrak, Noble, Helms, Moore, Kidman, Skipper, Guido, Kash, Dragon, DDP, Kanyon etc etc to quite easily have 2 quality rosters.

Yet Vince clearly had an ego thing, thought they weren't good enough or should be jobbed out first and then released them all and brought in his own homegrown guys who were never going to fill in.

Which brings me to another point.

When earning your stripes used to be starting in tag ranks, before being given and singles push eventually.

And not jobbing for 6 months to earn your stripes, before being given a push, but failing because the audience already perceives you as a loser.
    Turns Water into Funk

Weekly Column: The Iron Jung!
    http://www.wrestling101.com/101/category/jung

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Redman View Post
    As a general rule we're all pretty downcast about wrestling these days. We're all longing for the "good ol' days", which in my case is 2004. But what is it that you miss about when things were "better"? I dont mean just general complaining, "when things used to mean something", specific things that they used to do and they dont do anymore.

I thought of this after talking in the Sheamus thread about Cena and Batista being made at WM21. I miss when winning the world title meant you were the best guy on the show. Even though there were two titles, it still felt OK because the brands were so much more separate and they were treated like a world title. Cena and Batista winning them at Mania made them into the next big stars. Benoit seemed like the best guy on Raw. HHH seemed like the best guy on Raw whenever he had it. When Cena had that 12 month reign he was clearly the biggest guy in the company. And so on. Now, a midcarder who isnt over at all has the WWE Title. He doesnt even seem like he's in the Top 5 guys on Raw. Why is he the world champion?

I also miss when actually winning a world title was a special occasion. When Cena and Batista won their respective titles at Mania, it was a huge 'torch passing' deal and they became the new top guys. When Benoit won the WHC it was the greatest moment in the history of our great sport (at the time). Even when midcarder Orton won it from him, it was played up like a huge, huge deal. Ditto Eddie beating Brock. Edge cashing in on Cena the first time was mind blowing. Now they pass the world titles around every 3 weeks, and it doesnt mean an absolute thing. Nobody cares anymore when they win the title, and why should they? Its probably their fourth reign this year. The ONLY one who does care is Jeff Hardy, and he's gone. I mean, Edge has won the world title NINE TIMES. Edge.

I'm actually being more general than I intended to be, but you get the point. What did they do much better when you really loved wrestling?
    2004 was the good ol' days for you?

Here's what I remember. The months following Wrestlemania 17 was the beginning of the downturn of the product.

2002 was okay-ish with a few big highlights and 2003 was when things began to seem like they were heading for even more bad television overall.

Then 2004 came - that was rock bottom for me, the worst television I had ever seen.

So no I'd rather not go back to 2004, as it was f*cking awful. Although compared to today's wrestling which is even more dreadful I guess if I had to, I would go back to that.

As for the idea of 'passing the torch.' Batista may have had somebody credible to pass it to him but Bradshaw passing the belt to Cena in one of the most boring squash matches in history was not a defining moment in wrestling.

Again in 2004, Benoit winning the title at Wrestlemania 20 was nice but not the huge deal that people made it out to be.

Certainly did not mask over the terrible year of television.

Orton beating Benoit again was ruined by HHH taking it back one month later and now it's almost forgotten.

The only thing in 2004 you mentioned which was well worked as a short storyline and had a great outcome was the short Eddie and Brock fued at No Way Out.

As for the question. What did they do better when I loved wrestling?

Well firstly most wrestlers could talk a lot better on the microphone and in their promos.

That's not a hard thing to work on but clearly in todays WWE-Scene it's not a requirement to work on your character.

The roster was more exclusive and by that I mean smaller.

Which is a good thing and I will always, always maintain that part of the reason why WWE sucks and has sucked since 2002/2003 is the 'brand' split which to me has done nothing but make the company look weak.

Maybe not financially weak (which is obviously the most important reason for the split aside from the WCW/ECW talent acquired) but weak in terms of having too many guys with the belts and too many guys in the main events over the shows.

Therefore making the belts look a lot more worthless and they have done since 2002/2003.

It's simple things and ironically TNA (a company I have no love for) has now got Hogan and Bischoff trying to get things back to basics, which to me is a good as I or anyone else in my view of things can wish for.

It's just a pity TNA has the lesser talent to work with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
    I miss a couple of things most of all. I miss the fact that PPV's used to be a really big deal and not something that the WWE throws together once or twice a month. It used to be that the matches that where held during a PPV actually meant something and when a title changed hands you remembered it for months if not years. Nowadays with the amount of PPV's we have, they mean nothing except for Summerslam, Rumble and Mania. And even some of those in recent years have been a disappointment.

The other thing I miss is the characters that were so individual. The Randy Savage's, the Rowdy Roddy Pipers and the Hulk Hogan's. The WWE has turned into a cookie cutter machine spewing out wrestlers that except for the faces and names are carbon copies of each other.

Has wrestling gone downhill. Yes. With all the talent available it's a crying shame. Unfortunately for the fans money seems to the the bottom line in the WWE and as fans we come last to the almighty dollar.
    Yep. I also miss the fundimentals of wrestling, two (or more) wrestlers telling a story in the ring.

I miss basic but effective booking, unique individual characters (talent being given the freedom to do it)

I miss the Intercontinental Title actually counting for something.

I miss a competitive Tag Team Division.

I miss having wrestling people writing the creative (Yes WWE, I mean you)

I miss the KoTR PPV.

I miss the kind of rivalries that as soon as you saw one of the guys, you wanted the other to appear and kick his ass (Austin V Rock)

I miss heel commentators (Although Striker is trying)

I miss Raw having a proper GM.

I miss the electricity eminating from the Rock.

I miss rival stables (like N.O.D and the Four Horsemen etc - hell, even the Corporation! )

I miss the Monday Night Wars.
    I'm a Daddy - Amy-Rose born on 23rd December 2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    It's simple things and ironically TNA (a company I have no love for) has now got Hogan and Bischoff trying to get things back to basics, which to me is a good as I or anyone else in my view of things can wish for.

They are? Just read the spoilers. That's anything but basic.

As for more things I miss.

When a wrestling show didn't have to be run by somebody. We survived for many, many years without needing a constant authority figure intervening in everything.

Buzzwords. WWE Universe being the worst. Pretty much every guy on the roster uses it and it's just so scripted and annoying because it's like they can't say fans anymore, like it's a bad word?!

Simple angles. You know like "I want your title, so I'll beat you" or "I just don't like you so I want to beat you". The greatest wrestling stories are the simplest. So why both WWE and TNA insist on making their angles so complicated and contrived, I don't know.

For some things I don't miss, I'll take off those rose tinted spectacles. Never understand why people want King of The Ring back. With exception to maybe 2 or 3 tournaments, the majority of the tournament was made up for 3 minute matches which achieved nothing. It was a great idea in concept, terrible in reality.
    Turns Water into Funk

Weekly Column: The Iron Jung!
    http://www.wrestling101.com/101/category/jung

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    2004 was the good ol' days for you?
    I believe it's the year she started watching pro-wrestling, not her favourite era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jung View Post
    When a wrestling show didn't have to be run by somebody. We survived for many, many years without needing a constant authority figure intervening in everything.
    Along these lines, I liked it in WWE when Jack Tunney was the WWF President and he was brought in for TV only to rule over the big decisions (such as Bret and Luger both winning the 1994 Royal Rumble or the Hogan/Undertaker/Flair situation over the WWF Title at the end of 1991).

I also miss tag-teams who dressed alike, had double-team moves, a double-team finisher and, if put in against a tandem of two established singles stars, would still enjoy the advantage due to tag-team wrestling being a different style that needed to be mastered.
    No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes
    And no one knows
    What it's like to be hated
    To be fated to telling only lies

vCash
    I would disagree with that
    What Chocolate Bar does this wrestler look like.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Showstoppa View Post
    I miss the KoTR PPV.
    I've always said KOTR should be one of the major PPV's of the year. instead they push these "three hell in a cell matches in one night" stuff. I think they should replace HIAC with KOTR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by etz View Post
    Actually, I think you've hit the nail right on the head of what we all miss.

It doesn't matter if you're a mark or a smark, what we really miss are the moments we can all mark out to. It's suspension of disbelief and getting caught up and caring about what happens next, which is something which modern wrestling gives us all too rarely.
    Nonsense.

It's just that wrestling is absolutely terrible. I don't follow wrestling religiously at all and may watch a show a month, but my hatred for wrestling is because the shows are weak. There's no talent, at all. The wrestlers are all too similar and the commentators/presenters are really awful. Backstage, the videos are top notch but the bookers are terrible.

It's just a rubbish time to be a fan. There's nothing there to appeal to anyone.

Hopefully wrestling sorts itself out soon or the market dies out.
    Fight Forum Leader: Fight Forum

"A boxing match is like a cowboy movie. There's got to be good guys and there's got to be bad guys. And that's what people pay for - to see the bad guys get beat. In the films the good guy always wins, but this is one bad guy who ain't gonna lose"

vCash
    There's nothing there to appeal to anyone.
    This is such a ridiculously hyperboled statement - 'appeal' is based on personal opinion...and people have different wants, needs and preferences. No single person should ever try and speak on behalf of those who may in fact have different opinions to them - and considering people still enjoy both TNA and WWE regardless of the quality you disagree with, it's painfully clear that there IS appeal there to many.

Myth: busted
    Evolution just passed you by!!

~H}{H~ Evolution - Squashing the TWO forum for his own pleasure...
    "Doing what's BEST for business!"

#BelieveinEvolution

Thread Information