Talk Wrestling Online: Forum

View Poll Results: Best match of the 2000s?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Triple H v Cactus Jack, Royal Rumble 2000

12 32.43%
  • The Rock v Steve Austin, Wrestlemania X7

6 16.22%
  • Triple H v Shawn Michaels, Summerslam 2002

1 2.70%
  • Kurt Angle v Chris Benoit, Royal Rumble 2003

3 8.11%
  • Triple H v Shawn Michaels v Chris Benoit, Wrestlemania XX

6 16.22%
  • Masato Tanaka v Mike Awesome, One Night Stand 2005

3 8.11%
  • John Cena v Rob Van Dam, One Night Stand 2006

1 2.70%
  • Undertaker v Shawn Michaels, Wrestlemania 25

5 13.51%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Triple H/Cactus was fantastic, but not the best. Hunter/Shawn wasn't all that great and shouldn't have been on this list - ditto both ONS matches. Neither of them are even close to being Match Of The Decade in any form other than personal favouritism, which should be put to one side sometimes. The WM triple threat is overrated to f*ck and I never liked the child murderer anyway so his winning just made me angry with wrestling for being so stupid. And Kurt/Murderer was strong but didn't have the Wrestlemania atmosphere that can carry great matches to all-time classics. That's part of why Taker/Shawn could be considered, but in the end I just think that Rock/Austin had too much to go against.

Thus, I voted Rock/Austin as it was almost the perfect Wrestlemania main event - just everything a big match should be with super heat, great chemistry, good work, and the right finish. It was the peak of the Attitude era, and in many cases the end of it too.
    Basically I'd have posted pretty much exactly this.

I know I ranted a bit about Masato/Awesome in the other thread, but, really?

Rock/Austin was the perfect climax to a whole era of wrestling and I can't remember a match that had seen me on the edge of my seat and literally getting up out of my chair marking out as much as this since..... strangely enough Goldberg winning the United States title from Raven. weird. anyway, for all the reasons the poster quoted said, Rock/Austin's my choice

vCash
    Triple H/Jack RR2000.

Late 1999 - early 2000, Triple H was on fire. One amazing main event match after another. Then he got hurt, became a walking steroid and he sucked for ages.

vCash
    Out of the three Austin/Rock matches from WrestleMania, I think the WMX-Seven one was the weakest. It's still an awesome match, but I felt their first was better (the Backlash match the month after was better again) and had the first-time-ever vibe, while the WMXIX was astoundingly brilliant. WrestleMania X-Seven did have the best hype video out to of the three, though, to be fair.
    No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes
    And no one knows
    What it's like to be hated
    To be fated to telling only lies

vCash
    Had to go for Foley/HHH just virtually perfect to me from start to finish, with a great crowd. I think Austin/Rock is great but the end lets it down for me as the crowd totally didn't react for his heel turn (and they were never going to), so that brings it down a point for me.

All great matches though for very different reasons.
    Turns Water into Funk

Weekly Column: The Iron Jung!
    http://www.wrestling101.com/101/category/jung

vCash
    I reminded myself yesterday and yet I still forgot this last night.

Anyway, as you can see folks, the Triple H v Cactus Jack Street Fight from Royal Rumble 2000 is officially the greatest WWE match of the entire decade!

Rock v Austin from WM17 and HHH v HBK v Benoit from WM20 came distant seconds, with HBK v Taker from WM25 coming in third.

So essentially we spent weeks worth of polls and time in our lives to end up back at the very first event of the decade. Good show.

Thanks to Jung for his idea and work for the first half of it, and not minding me taking over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    It was the peak of the Attitude era, and in many cases the end of it too.
    Thank God for miracles... I hope the Attitude Era never shows its face again.

As for WWE Match of the Decade I know I'm late but the poll is done with - I agree with Trips/Foley. For all the shit people give Triple H he consistently provides entertainment and great matches. Of course, his best years (in MY opinion) were when he split away from DX, became a one man war machine against the Corporation, took over the WWE with Stephanie, and rode that train all the way through Trips/Foley (btw I normally HATE HATE HATE Foley, yes I'm odd - but his feud with Trips was amazing and I give him nothing but props) until he got injured and disappeared for 8-10 months. He came back a face and was still cool but it wasn't the same and I've had to endure the HORRIBLE DX green for the last year (thank God THAT'S over).

So yeah, you can call me Tangent Man. Trips/Foley, match of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beltster View Post
    Triple H/Jack RR2000.

Late 1999 - early 2000, Triple H was on fire. One amazing main event match after another. Then he got hurt, became a walking steroid and he sucked for ages.
    The reason he was so awesome was playing the role of a heel to perfection - he was making the other guy look awesome. I always said that the perfect wrestler is someone who can get a pop, make people love/hate him but the most important thing that not many people can do successfully is MAKE THE OTHER GUY LOOK GOOD.

And back then, during his run against the Corporation up until his injury he was making every wrestler he went up against look good. Hell, the Brooklyn Brawler looked awesome in a match against Trips!

He also was wrestling the whole roster, something you don't see any longer which I do want to see come back. He wasn't just facing one wrestler every f'n week, he was facing Hardy before Hardy was big, he fought the Brawler, he fought a different wrestler every week and consistently made them all look awesome as they kicked his ass. He'd win at the end though
    Last edited by Paul; 14-03-2010 at 08:51 PM.

vCash
    Why do I get the feeling you revived this for the sake of bashing the Attitude Era? And then covered it up by giving your analysis.

It was successful, turned on thousands of people to wrestling, had an insane amount of awesome matches and during it Vince McMahon made more money then you could ever hope to. Get over it.
    Last edited by Dante Spears; 14-03-2010 at 11:34 PM.
    Keep in mind that what I've said is merely my opinion, but keep in mind that I'm always right.
    You'll be happy to know that 61 percent of the WWE Universe voters think the WWE Draft is better than the NFL, NBA, another major sports drafts. In related news, 61 percent of the WWE Universe voters are morons.

vCash
    ..Hardly like there's much else going on in the part of the forum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Spears View Post
    Why do I get the feeling you revived this for the sake of bashing the Attitude Era? And then covered it up by giving your analysis.

It was successful, turned on thousands of people to wrestling, had an insane amount of awesome matches and during it Vince McMahon made more money then you could ever hope to. Get over it.
    Um, I "revived" it because it was the shown as the top thread of the forum. I didn't realize the last post was in '09 lol

And yes the Attitude Era sucked. Get over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    And yes the Attitude Era sucked. Get over it.
    Pretty sweeping statement there. Any facts (beyond your own opinion) to back that statement up?

I'm not hopping on any sort of perceived bandwagon here - just playing devil's advocate and keeping the conversation going.

For my money, it didn't suck, it didn't rule... it just... sat there. But to say it sucked is a tad OTT.
    Swig of beer for the workin' man.
    -- Steve Austin

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

// Tweet! // WrestleHolic // eBay Stuff! // The Inno View //

Thread Information